Newsweek has released its 2021 list of the top 30 cancer specialist hospitals globally, but Australia is nowhere to be seen.
The list of is part of a wider series of rankings of the World’s Best Hospitals — drawn up by global data research firm Statista Inc, and covers 25 countries, including United States, United Kingdom, Germany and Canada.
As may be expected it features some familiar names, such as the MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston Texas, the Royal Marsden Hospital, London, and the Institut Curie, Paris. The list also features several hospitals from such as Brazil and India.
Newsweek says the lists are based on medical KPIs on hospitals, recommendations from medical experts (doctors, hospitals managers, health care professionals), and results from patient surveys.
However while two Victorian hospitals feature in the global top 100 for general hospitals (The Alfred in Melbourne ranked 57 and the Royal Melbourne at 81), there were none from Down Under listed under cancer specialist hospitals. Some Australian centres are listed for specialities such as paediatrics and gynaecology, and the Mona Vale Hospital in NSW features in the top globally for palliative care.
The top specialised hospitals for 2021 in oncology are:
- MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston TX
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York
- Woman’s Hospital, Baton Rouge LA
- The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto
- L’Hôtel-Dieu de Québec – CHU de Québec-Université Laval, Quebec City
- Churchill Hospital, Oxford
- The Christie, Manchester
- The Royal Marsden Hospital, London
- The Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, Surry
- Centre Léon-Bérard, Lyon
- Institut Curie, Paris
- Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif
- Institut Paoli-Calmettes, Marseille
- IUCT Oncopole – Institut Claudius Regaud, Toulouse
- IEO – Istituto Europeo di Oncologia, Milan
- IRCCS Istituto Oncologico, Veneto Padova
- Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan
- Istituto Nazionale Tumori di Napoli – Fondazione G. Pascale, Napoli
- Ospedale Oncologico Armando Businco Cagliari
- Hospital Paulistano Sao Paulo
- Apollo Speciality Cancer Hospital, Chennai
- HCG Cancer Centre, Ahmedabad
- Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai
- National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo
- Saitama Cancer Center, Saitama
- Shizuoka Cancer Center Nagaizumi
- The Cancer Institute Hospital of JFCR, Tokyo
- Korea Cancer Center Hospital – Korea Institute Of Radiological & Medical Sciences, Seoul
- National Cancer Center, Goyang City.